Monday, January 21, 2008

Memories on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

As I start to write what MLK Jr. Day means to me, I am drawn back to memories of Lucille Davis. During the summers after 4th and 5th grade, my parents hired Lucille to do light housekeeping and to be my brother's, sister's and my nanny for the summers. Lucille was a black ("negro", at that time) college student from the south who I grew to love and confide in. I have really fond memories of her being such a patient listener.

At the time Lucille was with us in the summer, we lived in Armonk's Windmill Farms and we belonged to the Swimming Club that was on one of the lakes. Lucille would accompany us to the lake wearing her maid uniform and sit under a tree in the hot sticky weather while we would swim. It took many years until I realized why she wouldn't (or couldn't) join us in the water.

Within our house, Lucille was treated like a member of the family. I remember joining my mother and Lucille at the kitchen table while they were having a cup of coffee and my mother encouraged Lucille to tell me about living as a "Negro" in the South. And so it was that I learned for the first time about the Jim Crow laws from an intelligent college woman who had to sit in the back of the bus and sit in the balcony at the movies. This was in the summers of '61 and '62.

And now when I think of this day honoring the man who changed that way of living, I remember that it was not just our nation's civil rights values but also Lucille and many individuals whose lives were changed by his powerful leadership.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

Ellyn, this is really nice. I have never heard you tell of this experience before. I can now understand better why you have the feels you do for the Civil Rights Movement and it personal significance. And how forward thinking of your Mother to encourage Lucille to tell you of her experiences, leading you to a better understanding of her and her view of the world.